Monday, September 23, 2013

Dressing Up Your Table for Fall

The moment labor day weekend ends, I'm immediately ready for pumpkin flavored anything, football games, and 60 degree weather to begin. But come on, who isn't? Unfortunately, it doesn't happen that quickly in Kentucky, but we've been lucky to have a few 'fall-like' days here lately which has gotten me in the spirit.
 
One of my favorite things about this time of year is the decorating. (I'm sure I get that from my mother). Ever since we got our farmhouse table, I've been looking forward to this season because I knew exactly how I've wanted to decorate it and couldn't wait another day to get started....
 
 
 
I wanted to utilize the whole table (since it's massive), so Nathan and I made a long, narrow box that would work as the foundation for the tablescape. And yes- when I say 'Nathan and I', I mean that I ACTUALLY helped construct something. Shocking, I know.
 
It was a simple construction that included a nail gun, wood glue, and 1" x 4" boards. We then used some of the leftover stain that was applied to the kitchen cabinets and it was good to go. The box is great because I plan to use it all year round... Christmas centerpiece, Hydrangeas in the spring- lots of possibilities!
 
 
 
The easiest box ever!
 
Last weekend, Nathan and I made a trip to one of our favorite places, Huber's Farm. I think we were there three Sundays in a row this past summer because we love it so much... and we were trying to get some time in before the crazy crowds come in the fall. Too. Many. People. (That all just sounded very hipster... sorry about that). Anyway, while there enjoying some wine tasting with his parents, I was able to pick up some mini pumpkins and gourds for a good price (at least I think they were... not really sure what mini pumpkins go for these days....) I originally planned on using some fake pumpkins I had for the table, but couldn't pass these up in all of my Huber's loving glory. I then picked up some floral foam, candles, and Spanish moss from Walmart (Yes, I cheated on Hobby Lobby). The final thing I needed was some fake fall foliage thingys... I luckily already had a good amount that I have collected throughout the years, so I only had to pick up a stem or two for the project.
 
The supplies....
 
This project was really simple. The box is about 4" deep, so I made sure to add foam at the bottom to ensure the pumpkins could sit higher and weren't buried below. I simply cut the foam in half and placed the pieces in the box. I then added and spread out one bag of Spanish moss on top. From there, I spaced out my pumpkins and gourds until they looked nice and balanced.
 
  
 
Next up- the candles. I had 4 tapered candlesticks and a few pillar candles. I guess I wasn't thinking about the height of the pillar candles, because I ended up having to cut into the foam and place the candles into the holes I made. It ended up working pretty well though because they were then secure and not wobbly on top. I then finished it off by pushing the tapered candlesticks into the foam and we were good to go.
 
 
 
 
Finally- the fun part. I grabbed the fall foliage and a scissors and got to work. I cut each stem of the foliage so I could disperse it all throughout since I only had one 'branch' of each.
 
 
I really just messed with the foliage until it looked right to me and placed the pieces in between and over the edges. It ended up being exactly what I was going for and I'm loving it.
 
 
 
 



 
Sorry for the picture overload... I'm still messing around with my camera. 

 
This project was very quick and easy... including making the box. If you're not up for tackling wood with a nail gun, I think this could work just as well in a long narrow basket that you could pick up at any craft store, flea market, or even the dollar store... which is my other favorite place to shop. You'd be surprised at what The Dollar Tree is hiding!

Here it is all lit up... I'm trying to not light it all the time to avoid having to buy more candles! Oh and probably a major fire hazard. Oh well- it's pretty!



 
Hope this gets you in the mood for the fall season! I think my next project for the table is a light burlap runner to break up all of the wood that is going on. Hope you come back and check it out!




-Tricia

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/10387815/?claim=yw7xnh67n49">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I was thinking of doing a table runner, but I love this idea much more. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do both! I'm hoping to get around to making a table runner this weekend, but we'll see if I have enough time. Oh well- still have plenty of time for fall!

      Delete
    2. Burlap table runner, looks super great togather

      Delete
  2. This is brilliant and looks amazing!!! This will take over Pinterest i bet!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. Definitely getting me into the fall spirit!

      Delete
  3. This turned out really lovely. I tend to shy away from fake foliage, but even up close, yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ceci! I definitely know what you mean by using fake foliage, but there is some out there that can really work well.... and I can use it all next year! Thanks for checking this out.

      Delete
  4. This came out beautiful! I love this idea, I have been looking for something for my breakfast table. I might have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! It was quick and took no time at all. If you can't find or make a box, try a long narrow basket. Thanks for checking it out, Lindsay!

      Delete
  5. I love it! I'm going to follow you bc I love decoration, if you want you can visit my blog!
    Regards from spain!
    http://dontcallyourmum.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/rope-balls-for-autumn-decoration.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely check out your blog. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. Tricia, your pumpkin filled box is just beautiful and the photos of it with the candles burning are gorgeous! I may have to talk my husband into making one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. You should definitely talk him into it :)

      Delete
  7. How lucky you are to have such a beautiful big table! The custom box is fabulous, and I love all the pumpkins and candles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I love the table and am hoping to use it for years and years. Thanks for checking this out :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! The candles really add the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree- The candles really make it. Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  9. You've created a gorgeous centerpiece! Great job on all parts of it from building the box to filling it! Love the candlelit pics - so pretty! I'm sure having to buy more candles would be worth it! A burlap runner sounds like the perfect accent for underneath this fantastic centerpiece.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Yes- I think buying more candles will definitely be worth it. I really need to work on that runner.

      Delete
  10. P.S. You may want to shut off word verification - I had to try 3 times to get it correct and almost gave up!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip! I didn't realize that was on (I'm still new to this!) I know those can be annoying. I think it's off now :) Hope you come back!

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful! We are going out to our shop to build the box this afternoon...as soon as my hubby is done watching football ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, you did a great job on that... I suppose you could use recycled lumber as well for a rustic look.

    I enjoyed browsing your site, good information and lovely pictures. check out my site if you get time. Sunset and Icicles
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great. I've been looking like a box like this for a long time. Thanks so much!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Honey I'm Home

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you be willing to give me some more dimensions on the box? Width and length? Thanks, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this and I made it! Mine is a little different. I did a post on it and also linked back to this post since you were my inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you tell me your dimensions?? This is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been one to do seasonal decorations but after seeing this I'm going to try this it's beautiful and simple 😍

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks a lot for sharing. Private Tutor in ST. AUGUSTINE Will check back later for more of your articles.

    ReplyDelete