Monday, September 16, 2013

From Farmhouse to Our House: Dining Room Table


Last December- after a long first week of work at my new job- I walked in the door on a late Friday afternoon to an early Christmas present....
 
A farmhouse table!
 
I can handle these surprises....
 
I don't know if I was more shocked at the beautiful piece of furniture in front of me, or the fact that Nathan tied a really great bow on top. The guy is a great gifter. You may think he's sleeping on the couch- ok maybe he is- but he's really good at listening to those little things I unassumingly mention... or notice my eyes get big when I'm scrolling across something on the computer screen. Meanwhile, I'm over here trying to find something for his birthday that's neither a man tool or car part. Why are guys so hard to buy for?
 
Check out that bow!
 
His dad was able to salvage some wood from a barn on Nathan's brother-in-law's family farm in Nancy, Kentucky (close to Somerset where he is from). I love how the origin of the table traces back to the area where Nathan grew up. It definitely makes the piece more interesting than a few pieces of lumber from the hardware store. All of the wood- even the legs- came from the barn so there was no need to buy any extra lumber. You can even see some of the old nail holes in some of the planks.
 
 
 
To keep it secret, Nathan utilized Josh's workshop...and his help of course. (Told ya there would be more Josh mentions.... they must really enjoy their male bonding time) There also wasn't a need to stain the wood. One side of the wood was very faded from facing the sun, but the interior side was still a rich, dark color. He made sure to utilize that side for the table top. (I bet the faded side would have looked just as good with a great sun-washed look) From there, a clear coat was sprayed over the entire table.
 
 
 
 
Removable extensions were also constructed. They aren't that heavy and they easily slide in and out whenever we need them. They are just inserted in the slots that were cut into the frame of the table. We've already utilized these quite a few times and are able to sit at least 10 at one time... with a maximum of 12 if you put two people at both ends. Who's cooking?
 
Slots were cut in the frame of the table.
 

 
 

Added extensions....
 
This table is huge... Go Big or Go Home...
 

It's great that we don't have to be too careful with it since a few dents and dings will just add to its character. I have to say- my favorite parts are the details of the knots and the natural edges- they really show the table's history and roots. Yes that was a pun.
 
 
 
 
 
It's without a doubt the most "rustic" piece in the house... but I think it really fits us to the tee. Nathan is just manly and rustic (He'll hate me for writing that... haha) and I'm always wanting to have some warmth in a space which this definitely provides. I have a feeling tablecloths may be used once kids come into the picture to avoid crumbs and messes in the cracks- but right now we tend to keep it pretty clean. I will admit I have used a vacuum hose for a few areas holding crumbs, but I usually just use a damp rag and it's good to go.
 
Now that we have this awesome table- it leads me to chairs. I'm currently living with some that I'm not the biggest fan of, but they're working (and pretty comfortable I might add). I have some pretty cool chairs in my mind, but I'm trying to keep the budget at the forefront before I make any drastic purchases... made that mistake before! So I guess in the meantime I'm in search of some new replacements... and by 'new' I mean something I can find for dirt cheap to recover and makeover! Stay tuned.... 
 

 
 
-Tricia




 

11 comments:

  1. Really beautiful and I LOVE the rug! Thank you for your comment on my blog - it led me here :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to read more of your posts!

      Delete
  2. I love this, Tricia! How sweet of your husband to make it for you! I'm sure you all will get years and years of use from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- it was a great surprise. Hoping to use it for years! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful table! You are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, love the rug! Where did you find it? - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the rug and chandelier!! Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rug is from Ballard Designs and the lighting is actually from Lowes!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this information. Such a great information.
    Dining Room Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  7. In fact, i have taken a great look! Exclusive design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved being able to tweak the dimensions and such on pieces that we'd seen in catalogs or online in the States. Demir Leather

    ReplyDelete